Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Kwik Sew 3594....another bra

Bra making continues....

I finished the 2nd bra which I started during the lingerie workshop at Inkberrow Design Centre. While sewing it I could not stop thinking of the strange things which had held me back from sewing bra's before....:
1. They are very small
2. Small seam allowances
3. Need to be very accurate
4. Fitting issues
5. Too scary

In response I kept thinking
1. The reason I enjoy sewing for the children is that the pattern pieces are all so small and therefore the garments go together really quickly (and can be cut out on the table)
2. So what? 6mm is what I use when making sun hats and jersey items....
3. So what? I am accurate in everything that I sew (especially in 6 panel hats as the points of the seams need to meet exactly)
4. So what? Fitting issues with all garments until toiled and mastered!
5. Well I found the way to get over than was to go on a bra making workshop as I realised I CAN MAKE BRAS!

So then I thought... well all the pieces were cut out for me and I just had to do as I was told... I have a bra pattern in my stash for Kwik Sew 3594 with a free toile kit (all from Sewing Chest). Upon opening the pattern, I found the receipt and I purchased it on 12th  August 2011, so it has been gathering dust in the stash for nearly a year. Time to pattern stash bust??

Pattern Description:


Full band bra pattern

Pattern Sizing:

32 AA-Dto 40B - DDD

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Very clear

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

1. I don't like the fabric straps and I just used premade elastic straps.

2. I don't like the odd curve at the back and have made a note to modify the design to smooth out the back curve next time (the instructions use two pieces of elastic to cope with the strange back shape... if it was smoothed out then one longer piece of elastic could be used.)

3. I don't like turn over the fabric for the upper cup to wrap is around the ring for the elastic, next time I will just put the loops onto ribbon/elastic etc and attach them to the bra

Fabric Used:

selection from toile pack from the Sewing Chest - power net, tricot etc

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

1. Used elastic straps, used picot elastic for entire back section

2. Used a single layer of thicker fabrics

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I would sew it again but I would follow the Queen of Bra's / Fairy Godmother of bra makers... Sigrid instructions and add underwires, possibly I would try a smaller cup size (but I will try underwires first)

Conclusion:

Fast (made in 2 hours from cutting pattern to trying on.. and with interuptions from phone and children....)



It is a little bit "bullet bra" but that could be the toile fabrics I used. Will order some nice lace etc and test it again with some nice fabrics. Over my fear of sewing bra's now!

Want to try some more patterns out now!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on mastering the bra! I'm venturing into these waters myself, am awaiting a pattern to arrive. Your bra looks absolutely lovely. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've truly been bitten by the bug and have plans to make another selection of bras (venturing into making some with nice fabrics now!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really professional. I've never attempted to sew any kind of lingerie. You've inspired me to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete