Sunday, 1 July 2012

McCalls 4399 from 2004

With fabric from croft mill and McCalls 4399 I made a shirt for my husband for his birthday.. only finished it 6 days late (that's practically on time right?).

Pattern Description:


Men's Shirt with button closure, short or long sleeves with cuff and collar variations

Pattern Sizing:

Sml, Med, Large

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Similar

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes - collar instructions are good (I have made lots of shirts though)

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Basic boxy style man's shirt. Do not like the large grown-on facings

Fabric Used:

Fine cotton shirting

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I made a separate facing piece rather than a fold-over facing. Nest time I will remove the "curved" section from the facing and just make a straight facing.



I took about 3" off the side seams to curve the shirt in more (as requested by my husband!)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I have made this shirt many times. Next time I will make a curved hem and change the facing as mentioned.

Conclusion:

Lovely shirt to start on, but I might look for some different styles now!

If making the long sleeve version it is far more time consuming that a short sleeve shirt. (I can whip up a short sleeve shirt for a small boy in a few hours, this is more like a day's work!)

No comments:

Post a Comment