Sunday, 16 September 2012

PJ's for me

Several months late for Karen's Pajama Party....

In fact I said then
Catherine says:


April 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm

You are a mind reader!

I was just thinking that my boys new summer PJ’s and I need a new set too!

By September Summer PJ's are a little redundant... but never mind...

Not only did Karen provide the prompt to get on with some PJ's but also the link to the ebay sale of dinosaur fabric. fab dino skirt.. I ordered 3m of the fabric "for the boys" and made myself some PJ's with it.. and a set for the middle son (technically his are not actually finished yet)



I used Simplicity 4220 to make the PJ bottoms and Pattern Scissor Cloth - Ruby Slip to make the top (much shorter though)


Ruby Slip
Pattern Description:


This luxurious slip with a bias cut skirt and lace bodice is quick and easy to make, and is a great first introduction to sewing lace and bias cut garments. Follow the step-by-step instructions in the sew-along for additional information, tips and techniques



Pattern Sizing:

8-14

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

No - but only because I changed lots of things...

Were the instructions easy to follow?

SO SO easy

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Love the nice shape and drape

Fabric Used:

Cotton

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

1. I cut the front bodice piece on the fold insted of having it lapping

2. I used cotton instead of lace

3. I made it much shorter

4. I created two bodices and used one as a lining - the straps are secured within the "facing" of the bodice.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes & Yes

Conclusion:

Clearly anyone can sew a Fantastic piece of lingerie by downloading the pattern and following the wonderful instructions for the Ruby Slip. It takes a real master to take such a well drawn pattern with fantastic instructions, and turn it into a strange dinosaur covered PJ top!!! :-)



It it lovely to wear and I will make it again (probably even try the lace version!!)



PJ Bottoms:
Pattern Description:


This is actually a pattern for a dress, skirt, top, trousers and a bag.

Pattern Sizing:

8-16

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

No - but only because of my changed

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Did not need them - but they look simple enough

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Elastic waist trousers suitable to make some PJ bottoms out of - and a pattern from stash so no expense...

Fabric Used:

cotton

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Did not create the split around the base of the trousers.

Added lable of back for identification

Overlocked all seams (also makes inserting elastic easier)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes, but I would make the following changes:

Use smaller seam allowances on hips (size 16 too tight there)

Increase height of back

Increase length - too long for capri but not full length on me!!

Conclusion:



Good PJ pattern - not sure I would want to wear it as a pair of trousers though!!





1 comment:

  1. Cute!!! That's a great idea to use the Ruby slip for PJs. I'll be copying your idea! Thanks.
    Oh, I love the dino fabric!
    Karen's PJ sew-along was great, it sure got me off my arse! Mine were made from cupcake fabric.

    ReplyDelete