Saturday, 9 September 2017

Shirts - Mcalls 6044


I have made this shirt before.....in 2014 and in 2013 I stated that in the next makes I would.....


  1.  add yoke and back pleat to create more ease across the chest - this I did  (and it worked - as well as using a 1cm seam allowance not 1.5cm seam allowance for the front plackets)
    - So I did this again but made the pleat a little larger
  2. sew the long sleeve version
    This time I did do this - the long sleeve is a two piece sleeve which I may have managed to put on back-to-front...the split is wide so we decided to make this a cuff-link only shirt which holds the sleeves together better
  3. Use David Coffin's book to use a different collar application method
    YES!  and  I also used this tutorial and also Male Pattern Boldness
  4. Cut the buttonhole piece on the cross grain for variety 
    Yes - and again this works well

    I also made it a button down collar.


    Somehow I managed to sew the sleeve on backwards - (so the left sleeve is in the right arm...).... however it is still a wearable shirt.




    Second shirt (or 4th if you are counting the previous versions)



    The next shirt needs a placket sleeve (tower placket) - I turned the two piece sleeve back into a one piece sleeve and used the tutorial  on Off The Cuff to create a tower/ house sleeve placket. This fabric was thinner, and horrible to work with compared with the fabric I had used for the previous shirt. The sleeves could also do with being longer - how can that be when one the previous shirt they fit? 





    This shirt also has a button down collar - but with white buttons




    So although neither of these shirts are "perfect" I have now made my husband 2 shirts...this year (finally)......and I will lengthen the sleeve pattern and make a couple more by the end of the year.....lots of stash fabric to use up! 


     

3 comments:

  1. These shirts look fantastic! How strange that the second shirt sleeves are too short when they are OK on all previous versions.
    The first multi-coloured strip shirt looks like a Paul Smith one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good spot :) it's ex Paul smith fabric

      Delete
  2. That would be because it's ex Paul smith fabric from croft mill :) got 3 more pieces in different colours to use up...

    ReplyDelete